Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Last of This Empire of the Stars?

Yes I KNOW it's being an obscenely long time since I updated-so long, in fact, it's no doubt the cause why the link to this place has probably being dropped by a fair few people. What can I say, really, except that the fault is entirely mine. I've lost count of the posts I've intended to make, but not quite made in the end. Not that I've not had the time to write them either, but rather being just too darn lazy to get my ass off that chair and do it. Not that I've only just identified this problem either and haven't had a chance to do anything about it yet. Not that this is the first time I'm moaning here about the abysmal state of my blog either!!!

Both myself and this blog have fallen into a slump that I seem unable to get rid of, for somehow flown from my soul is the mad zest for life that burned in me after the O-levels. I seem to have caught the deadened spirit that pervades that pathetic excuse of a school I find myself in. I'm thankful my academic results haven't yet taken a severe hit though-AAAAAD in each of my Mock Result papers is actually not bad, considering the D is justifiable. It was for an English Lit paper, in which I ignored the question most people did, instead doing a question that, though still related to the text I studied, dealt with a completely different field. Another project undertaken in my spirit that as long as you're confident about them it's not about the grades until you step into that darn exam room-something I think alot of people in my school would do well to learn.

I am determined to revive this little Empire of the Stars one day...but in the meantime, enjoy this little story, ripped off from Julian's blog...

A group of alumni, highly established in their careers, got together to visit their old University of Notre Dame lecturer.

Conversation soon turned into complaints about stress in work and life. Offering his guests coffee, the lecturer went to the kitchen and returned with a large pot of coffee and an assortment of cups - porcelain, plastic, glass, some plain-looking and some expensive and exquisite, telling them to help themselves to hot coffee.

When all the students had a cup of coffee in hand, the lecturer said: "If you noticed, all the nice-looking, expensive cups were taken up, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is but normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress."

What all of you really wanted was coffee, not the cup, but you consciously went for the better cups and are eyeing each other's cups."Now, if Life is coffee, then the jobs, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life, but the quality of Life doesn't change.""Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it".

3 Comments:

Blogger * the mad monk of melk * said...

marcus p j tan. do u remember me?

4:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

4:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home